Skip to main content

He said/She said: 2016 Mazda CX-3 CUV Review

By: Dan Heyman & Lacey Elliot


When I was asked to take the 2016 Mazda CX-3 for a spin, I found myself surprisingly excited considering that this type of a car—small/compact crossover—isn’t usually my cup of tea; as a certified auto journalist, and thus, somewhat unbalanced, I’m a big station wagon and hatchback kind of guy. I’ve always felt they provided all the creature comforts of an SUV or CUV, while still providing an engaging ride.


However, the CX-3 is a Mazda, and Mazda has to be respected for always finding a way to add that certain je ne sais quoi that makes a car fun to drive and behold, whether that has to do with some funky styling, a firm chassis or engaging powertrain. That’s what happens when you’re known for continually building one of the world’s most exciting, fun-to-drive and above all, affordable, sports cars on the market: the MX-5.


Styling


So, with that in mind, I sauntered up to our CX-3 tester, finished in brilliant Soul Red metallic paint, and took it in.


The first thing that jumped to mind is just how proportional it all is. I would say that the slim front fascia, the short overhangs and slightly canted-forward stance are much more reminiscent of the MX-5 than they are with, say, the Mazda3, which is a good thing. It’s not that the 3 looks bad, it’s just that the MX-5 looks better. Those headlight lenses are especially menacing, and are so narrow you’re surprised they work at all. They do, and are quite powerful in LED form, which my?tester had as they come standard on the top-spec GT trim.


2016 Mazda CX-3 headlights


In profile, while the little roof spoiler falls towards the “cutesy” side, the plastic cladding ‘round the wheel wells and rocker panels (for hardcore off-roading, you know) are just butch enough to let folks know that the CX-3 is more than simply a Mazda2 hatch—with which it shares a platform—on steroids. It’s eye catching, most definitely in a good way. Same goes for the sharp-looking 17-inch two-tone wheels. I’d have these on an aftermarket conversion, that’s for sure.


Styling?


Women want to look good behind the wheel, and we want the car we drive to excite us every time we see it. If we don’t like how it looks, taking it for a test drive is usually out of the question. There is no doubt that this sporty looking subcompact crossover turns heads of both men and women. I describe it as a perfect balance of aggressive and cute wrapped up in one great little package.



RELATED:?2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Review


Mazda’s ‘Kodo’ design is powerful and sharp looking. Assertive headlights and a wide, forward stance make it look like it’s ready to pounce at any moment. I agree with Dan.?? Fluid lines bring it all together and looking at it from the side you can definitely describe it as ‘cutesy’.


2016 Mazda CX-3 front grills


The good looks continue on the inside. Nothing in this segment comes close. The sweeping dash is well laid out and easy on the eyes. Splashes of color, large dials and plenty of soft touch points make this vehicle appear to cost more than it really does.


Interior space, styling and ergonomics


The first thing that catches your eye, of course, is the white leather that covers the seats and parts of the dash; it’s some pretty blinding stuff, and I’d probably avoid it because a) it looks way too pretty for my liking and more importantly, b) white leather scuffs, it absorbs dye from your wet jeans and it’s blindingly reflective in direct sunlight.


What I’m a big fan of, however, is the Lux Suede inserts on the seats, which are comfortable and supportive; I definitely wasn’t expecting quality chairs like this in a micro-CUV. It’s great as it tends to not get so hot in the summer or cold in the winter, and it grips your hiney when the goings get twistier. I also like the red and black leather inserts; in fact, I’d like to see more of both colours, the red in particular.


2016 Mazda CX-3 interior


What I’d also like to see more of—and which may be a tougher ask, unfortunately—is room. It’s OK up front; the steering wheel tilts and telescopes, and the six-way manually adjustable driver’s seat allows for 954 millimetres of front headroom and 1,058 mm of legroom, but it’s mighty tight in the back. If I were to sit behind the driver’s seat adjusted for my 6’3” frame, well, let’s just say it wouldn’t be my first choice of transportation, and though Mazda claims it seats five, that’s really, really pushing it. It’s very snug, to the point where I wouldn’t recommend putting much more than a baby seat back there. Or, fold the seats down flat, making room for 1,484 Litres of cargo space, and 1,528L if you don’t have the premium audio system whose subwoofer takes up room back there. Plenty of room to fit a set of golf clubs or an adult-sized hockey bag. Unlike the CX-3’s CX-5 big brother, however, you don’t get the 40/20/40 split folding rear seats, meaning you have to make do with a more traditional 60/40 set-up.


2016 Mazda CX-3 backseat


Interior space, styling and ergonomics


I keep most of my personal belongs in my purse and toss that on an empty seat; keeping my cell phone and coffee cup close by. Lack of space is usually an issue in smaller cars and the CX-3 is no different. The cup holders are too close to my elbow and the rubberized pad for a phone won’t fit anything larger than the iPhone 6.


I am smaller than Dan and found the front seat to be acceptable. The back seat however is another story. Adults will not be comfortable in the back seat, headroom is ok but legroom is extremely limited. A single or couple needing to run errands will find the trunk big enough for a few groceries bags but not room for much of anything else.


2016 Mazda CX-3 interior


Performance, ride and handling


If you’re planning on spending most of your time behind the wheel, however—as I would—then there’s a lot to like about the CX-3. While the power figures won’t necessarily blow your socks off, the 146 horsepower and 146 lb.-ft. of torque, what?it does provide is more than enough to have the lil’ CX-3 zipping along at a good speed. The only available transmission is a six-speed automatic (whether you select an AWD or FWD model), so that makes the buying process that much easier.


So while it may not kick your butt too hard on the drag strip, it’s still a fun car to thread through the urban jungle, where it demonstrated precise steering and fairly flat cornering, the latter feature making for much more comfortable long-distance drives.


Adding to the comfort is the surprisingly supple suspension; indeed, the sporty hatch guy in me—and he’s a big guy—would’ve liked a slightly firmer set-up, but in the end, this here’s a vehicle that has to appeal to a much broader buyer base.


2016 Mazda CX-3 engine


Performance, ride and handling


The one thing that keeps popping into my mind to describe the ride feel of the CX-3 is spirited. It is super easy to dash in and out of city traffic or take a corner in a?suburban neighbourhood.


On the winding highway roads going to Whistler for the weekend I was actually taken by surprise. This little SUV feels grounded and capable on every bend. Road and engine noise was to a minimum; something that Mazda has really improved on their vehicles over the last couple years.



RELATED:?2016 Mazda CX-3 Scores Class-leading EPA Fuel Economy Ratings?


Unlike Dan, I loved the supple suspension.


The only transmission available is a very quick shifting and smooth 6-speed automatic. I was having so much fun on my drive not once did I wish I had a manual.


Safety and technology


All CX-3 trims get the Mazda Connect infotainment system, which provides a 7-inch colour touchscreen and something called an HMI controller, mounted on the centre console, to help navigate all the menus. When I first experienced a system of this type on a BMW, I was less than impressed; however, as we’re seeing more of a switch to an all-touch set-up in the industry, I’m glad to have an actual knob to turn. I find it easier to work with, as I don’t like having to reach over to a touchscreen in order to change audio tracks or sources.


2016 Mazda CX-3 touchscreen


Once you do finally settle on an audio source, rest assured that the seven-speaker Bose sound system (a six-speaker unit is standard) will please your eardrums.


My?tester’s Tech Package also provides a whole suite of electronic driving aids, including auto braking (brakes are applied automatically if the car senses the driver is too slow to react in a panic-stop situation), lane departure warning system, blind spot monitoring and rear cross-traffic alert, which can sense approaching cars as the driver backs out of a parking space.


Safety and technology


This AWD system is not going to be capable of off-roading. In my opinion, proper driving techniques matched with winter tires is more than adequate for Canadian winters.


That being said, knowing my vehicle has AWD gives me a feeling of security. I feel more confident behind the wheel. Some Canadians will agree with me and find that the additional $2000 for the optional AWD will be worth it.


If you are really looking for a sense of security and safety, the top of the line GT, priced at $31,020 comes standard with AWD and you can add on the ‘Technology Package’ for $1500. The tech package should really be called the safety package; it gives you blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alert, lane departure warning and the High Beam Control system.


The base model comes equipped with air conditioning, cruise control, push button start and rear view camera. The one feature I wouldn’t want to live with out is heated seats and they come standard on the next trim level up, the GS. The GS also has a power moonroof and Leather wrapped steering wheel, parking brake and shift knob. Not needed, but they are features that really enhance my drive enjoyment. For a starting price of $26,220 this would be what I would spend my money on.


In the end…


I really like the CX-3; I think it looks great, it’s an able performer—especially in the ride and handling departments—the interior is well-appointed and has the style to match the exterior. So there’s lots to like about it, as long as you’re willing to put up with the tight confines of the interior, especially in the back seat. It’s so snug back there, it’s almost a surprise Mazda’s provided two rear doors.


Indeed, you’ll find more room in the Mazda3, but with that car, you won’t quite find the cachet you get with the CX-3.


Let’s see if Lacey agrees.


This spirited little crossover is top of my list in this growing segment. The Nissan Juke would be a close second. And it’s sporty handling that has me leaning more towards the CX-3. This vehicle would be a wonderful first vehicle for a couple or single that maybe has a dog and are thinking of starting a family one-day. A couple with an infant can?get into this vehicle very easily and upgrade into a large member of the Mazda line-up as they grow their family.


2016 Mazda CX-3 rear



RELATED: 2016 Mazda CX-5 GT Review


View the original article here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 2023 Lexus RZ450e is the first EV from Lexus in the U.S

The 2023 Lexus RZ450e is the first EV from Lexus in the U.S. market. It is based on the Toyota bZ4X and has a dual-motor powertrain with 308 horsepower and standard all-wheel drive¹². It has a 65.6-kWh battery pack that provides an estimated range of 250 miles². It also offers a steer-by-wire system that allows the driver to choose between a regular steering wheel or a yoke-style one¹³. The RZ450e has a sleek exterior design with a floating roof, a ducktail spoiler, and aggressive headlamps². The interior is spacious and luxurious, with a 14.0-inch touchscreen infotainment display, a panoramic sunroof, adaptive cruise control, and more¹². The RZ450e comes in two trim levels: Premium and Luxury. The Luxury trim adds a Mark Levinson stereo system and multi-colored ambient interior lighting, but also reduces the driving range due to larger wheels². The RZ450e is expected to start at $59,650 for the Premium trim and $65,650 for the Luxury trim². It will compete with other luxury ...

Mercedes Benz E 550 4MATIC Sedan Technical Service Bulletin # S-07_61-59A Date: 091113

 Mercedes Benz E 550 4MATIC Sedan Technical Service Bulletin # S-07_61-59A Date: 091113 Engine Controls - Multiple DTC Troubleshooting Date: November 2009 Order No: S-B-07.61/59A Supercedes: S-B-07.61/59, February 2006 Group: 07 Revision: Models 204, 207, 212 Added. SUBJECT: Troubleshooting DTC Fault Codes Related to: ^ Adaptation Limits of Lambda Control ^ Mass Air Flow Sensor/Intake Air Temperature Sensor Models 204, 207, 212, 171.454, 171.456, 203.052, 203.054, 203.092, 203.056, 203.087, 209.356, 209.456, 211.056, 211.087, 211.256, 211.287, 164.186, 251.165, 221.171 This bulletin explains how to troubleshoot DTC fault codes 0337, 0338, 0341, 0342, 0537, (0620), 0745, 0746, 0749, 0750, 0789, 0790, 0793, 0794, 1045, 1046, 1047, 1048, 1049, 1050, 1051, 1052, 1345, 1346, 1347, 1349, 1350, 1351, 1352, 1857, 1858, 2025, 2026, 2029, 2030, 2032, 2089, 2090, 2091, 2092, 2093, 2094, 2095, 2096, 2181, 2082 by providing special diagnostic trees based on DAS for each fault ...

Y49/5 (Right camshaft intake solenoid) : Short circuit to ground (P2088)

P2088 Y49/5 (Right camshaft intake solenoid) : Short circuit to ground (P2088) Possible cause: ­ Y49/5 (Right camshaft intake solenoid) Affected functions: ­ ­ Engine diagnosis Engine output ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­ Test 1: Check component Y49/5 (Right camshaft intake solenoid). 1. Check component Y49/5 (Right camshaft intake solenoid). Test 1.1: Test actuation of component Y49/5 (Right camshaft intake solenoid). Test 1.2: Test current consumption of component Y49/5 (Right camshaft intake solenoid). 1.1. Test actuation of component Y49/5 (Right camshaft intake solenoid). Test prerequisite ­ Engine at idle ­ Vehicle stationary ­ Coolant temperature > 80? C ­ Time since engine start> 60 s Status of relevant actual value: ­ Temperature of coolant:Warning! Communication with ECU required. Note ­ After the actuation it may be necessary to erase the fault memory! Proceed to 'Actuation' with F2 1.2. Test current consumption of c...

Product Review: MyZone® Heart Rate Monitor

Today I’m writing up my review of the MyZone® HR monitor! I’ve been using mine now since May and have tested over a range of activities, so now I really believe I can give y'all a fair and informative review. Now, let’s start with the basics. I have the MyZone® MZ-3 physical activity belt, which retails for £129.99 – which, for a heart rate monitor, is fairly pricey considering you can get something like a Wahoo TICKR belt for ~£65 . Purchasing through a MyZone® representative is generally the best way: these tend to be personal trainers or gyms affiliated with the brand. For example, where I live you can get a belt through Henley Fitness Space and save something like ~10% off the RRP. Comfort wise it took a bit of adjusting for me to get used to the belt, but once I found the right position (which for me was just underneath my sports bra) I actually barely noticed the belt was there – which surprised me considering how bulky the monitor is. I find that in this position it sits jus...

Mercedes-Benz ML63 AMG Reliability - 2018 Ratings

New AMG SUV is the first full-size SUV which has that two way of building combined. 2 separate 1/4 mile records were made by two separate RENNtech cars at Palm Beach International Raceway on Wednesday night. The C350 took everything up a notch, but again not a night and day experience, while the C63 is otherworldly, its power devastating, adhesion and correlating road manners unfathomable for such a solid, substantial four-door sedan. I took my girlfriend to an Italian restaurant in Austin, Texas that we had both wanted to try for a while. While the show car does not look anything like the current Impreza, equally Subaru insists the concept鈥檚 styling forms only a guide to the production WRX. The interior of this car has been designed to have an elegant yet sporty look that matches perfectly with the vehicle鈥檚 overall appeal. To get the power onto the road, the rear tires are wider than the front ones on a mid-engined car - usually about 30% wider. Also look for a return of the hybrid S...

Product Review: Garmin Vivoactive 3

So. It’s now been a few months since I’ve had the Garmin Vivoactive 3 and I now think I’ve taken it for enough of a spin to make my full and honest opinion. In short, I very much enjoy the watch and it’s a great training tool but still certainly has its downfalls. The Garmin Vivoactive 3 is a multisport watch with built in wrist HRM, and as with all wrist based HRM that’s were it tends to fall flat. I use my watch primarily to track my rowing, however I’ve also tested it on runs, cycles, swims, ergs, indoor cycles and weights so I’ve tried it all (except golf…). I think the best way to break down my review is to split it into the sports, so I’ll start with the main one for me: rowing. Rowing On the erg I split between either using the ErgIQ app which I downloaded, or just the ‘indoor rowing’ application already on the watch. Out of these I find the ErgIQ gives me the best data, though the concept2 PM5 set up at Leander seems to be slightly temperamental with whether they’ll pick the wa...

We Rank The 5 Audi RS Cars Sold In The US From Worst To Best

Amazingly, only six RS cars have even been sold in the US. RS is to Audi as AMG is to Mercedes and M is to BMW. Even though BMW and Mercedes are quickly expanding their performance portfolios in the US, Audi has lagged behind in offering RS cars in North America. In fact, there was a time when Audi only sold one RS model at a time. This means that (excluding generational overlap) there have only been six different RS models on sale in the US. With only six cars to choose from, we decided to rank the five best RS cars that have ever been sold in the US from so-called "worst" to best. Coming it at number five (the lowest spot) is the RS5. We decided to put the B8 and B9 generation RS5 on this list because neither is our favorite RS car. The RS5 had a few issues. For instance, the engine was out passed the front axel line, which caused understeer. The first RS5 had a naturally aspirated 4.2-liter V8 , which sounded great, but the new car uses a 2.9-liter twin-turbo V6 which a...

American Van: June 2020

American Van: June 2020 Competition in the full-size segment is so brutally competitive that industry heavyweights like Toyota and Nissan have struggled to gain any type of market traction. They either have a stainless steel round sink or a fold-down sink, along with features like a tissue holder and a towel rack. In the galley, the Revel has a single burner induction cooktop, a 2.5 cu-ft fridge and freezer, and a stainless steel sink. The Winnebago View has 3 different floorplans 24J, 24V and the new 24D. of torque allow you to go where no RV has Winnebago Revel Class B diesel motorhome 44E highlights: 4-Wheel Drive! This car can be fun to drive and the average driver will feel comfortable with its performance. This tough new Class B is built on a Mercedes-Benz Sprinter chassis with a 3-liter turbo-diesel engine and an on-demand four-wheel drive system with a high/low range mode for off-roading. The beds are built on a deluxe Froli system with extra cushioning to give you a better nig...

2018 Mercedes-Benz AMG C 63 Expert Reviews, Specs And Photos

Under its rear hatch lies a two-cylinder diesel that generates 47 hp, which would have been fairly weak in 1960, much less in the era where the average Hyundai generates up to 200 hp. The new rear fenders make the AMG GT C a total of 2.25 inches wider than the AMG GT and AMG GT S, giving it exactly the same dimension as the AMG GT R at the rear of the car. These are the same rubbers that Nissan used during their 鈥榠nfamous鈥?fast lap of 7mins 29secs at Nurburgring, a timing which was controversially disputed by Porsche recently. 2017 Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Photos Redesign for USA, Canada, UK. You may have to replace it. Greatest car had to have our greatest engine. Pour in new oil according to the manuals directions based on your engine size. Find a list of comprehensive 2014 Rolls Royce Phantom performance specs including engine specs, braking, car handling and more. The 2013 LR4 manages its impressive on- and off-road performance by blending muscle and magic. The new Audi A6 Avant h...