Skip to main content

Product Review: Garmin Vivoactive 3

So. It’s now been a few months since I’ve had the Garmin Vivoactive 3 and I now think I’ve taken it for enough of a spin to make my full and honest opinion. In short, I very much enjoy the watch and it’s a great training tool but still certainly has its downfalls.
The Garmin Vivoactive 3 is a multisport watch with built in wrist HRM, and as with all wrist based HRM that’s were it tends to fall flat. I use my watch primarily to track my rowing, however I’ve also tested it on runs, cycles, swims, ergs, indoor cycles and weights so I’ve tried it all (except golf…). I think the best way to break down my review is to split it into the sports, so I’ll start with the main one for me: rowing.
Rowing
On the erg I split between either using the ErgIQ app which I downloaded, or just the ‘indoor rowing’ application already on the watch. Out of these I find the ErgIQ gives me the best data, though the concept2 PM5 set up at Leander seems to be slightly temperamental with whether they’ll pick the watch up or not. On days they don’t (which is more often then not) I switch to the indoor rowing app. I am not sure if I am missing something big here, but apart from telling me how long I’ve been going for and what my HR is…the indoor rowing app tells me absolutely nothing. I have never been able to pair my watch with an erg using this app, so although on Garmin Connect there’s a /500m pace section on the data field it always reads 0:00/500m for me so …pretty useless. Please tell me if I am doing this terribly wrong.
If using a chest strap with ANT+ monitor, then tracking your calories/HR with the watch during these work outs is very good. With the built-in wrist HRM it’s incredibly unreliable, especially when you’re doing harder pieces. I’ve apparently burnt an impressive ~60 calories during a 30min r20 test, when we all know that can easily clock in 400+.
On the water the same can be said again. With a chest strap the HR/calorie data is useful, without one it’s incredible hit or miss. It depends entirely on where/high tightly you’ve strapped your watch and what you happen to be doing. Except even during UT2 paddles it can think I don’t top 60bpm over 16Km which is entirely inaccurate. What is great however is the split tracking and also the SR – if you’re happy to keep peeping down at your wrist it’s very accurate.
I tested all this alongside a speed coach during 500m pieces and the two matched up excellently. On the fly the watch will only tell you splits in 5’s (2:40 or 2:45), but in the app it can break it down more than that and give accurate data which matches the speed coach. Annoyingly, strapping the watch to a blade doesn’t let you monitor stroke rate and nor does strapping it to a rigger, obviously. When I fix my stroke coach my plan is to strap it to my rigger for the pace and use the stroke coach for rate…but that’s only if I can resurrect it. Honestly for me I’m at the stage with my sculling where rates aren’t too much as I can barely break 30!
Using this watch for rowing has boosted my confidence, helped me see all my improvements and also highlighted to me how much conditions can affect your speed.
Running
I took this watch on a few runs, and this is an activity where I have found the wrist based HRM to be perfectly OK. Being able to look at my splits without getting my phone out was also very handy and I could also change my music so all in all made for some nice running experiences (I usually hold my phone in my hand so was nice to not get the cramp 2 miles in). One thing I would like to see is the ability to view a map whilst running and pre-input routes. You can pre-select work outs to do and Garmin have several distance related training programmes which are really handy, but being able to not get lost on a new running route would be incredibly useful (for example my fathers Samsung Gear 3 has this feature).
Cycling
For indoor cycling I’ve had the exact same issues as I did with the indoor rowing app. I have absolutely no idea how to set it up to enable the watch to pick up what the bike is doing, despite the bike having ANT+ capabilities. I should probably google this as I’m 95% sure it’s user error! However, I must say it’s very good at tracking HR using just the inbuilt wrist HRM and pairing it with some training programmes (again downloadable) actually makes indoor cycling that much more enjoyable than it is.
I have only taken it on one, very short, road cycle but I enjoyed the data I got from that. If I was fully decked out in Garmin gear as well it’s very cool that you can control all of them from your watch. Again, the wrist based HRM seemed to do a perfectly good job with the cycling. It blipped occasionally and read unrealistically low, but I believe that was whenever my wrist was at an odd angle due to my awful hill climbing abilities.
Swimming
I had issues with this swimming app… The wrist based HRM just stops working in water, which is understandable as almost all HRM’s stop working unless they are specific for swimming. However, the lack of complete customisation was frustrating. Although the app has lots of ‘pool lengths’ you can choose from, I found no way to input my own pool length info.
There was no open water swimming app already on the phone, but I have since downloaded another app which is based off GPS. It hasn’t been tested yet, but I’m hopefully it’ll correct this big downer for me. I was swimming in a pool which was 12.5 meters, so all of my data is squiffed because I’ve actually done half the distance. Someone suggested just using the running app, but as that doesn’t turn off the HRM I was nervous to give it a go and risk exploding my wrist.
Strength
The strength stuff was fun when I first started using it. The watch tried to pick up what exercise you are doing and then all you do is input the weight but looking back it does make a lot of mistakes. Reps for exercises like bench pull (which doesn’t really exist in the Garmin list of exercises) are usually counted twice, purely due to the movement involved and weights can only be input in round numbers. This meant a lot of my weights were input as 37kg instead of 37.5kg for example which bugs my perfection brain.
Although I stuck to using the stretch stuff for a good 6 weeks, the novelty wore off. I track all my exercises/weights/reps in a strength diary anyway, so it was info I didn’t need and the number of times I forgot to ‘start a new set’ got tedious. I haven’t investigated this on Garmin Connect too much, but if there was a way to select a pre-written weights or circuit programme to use with the watch then that would be a lot cooler in my mind.
Overall, I’m extremely happy I’ve got this watch. There is most definitely 1000’s more awesome things it can do which I have not explored, but as I primarily got it to monitor my OTW rowing sessions then it ticked pretty much all the boxes. When paired with a chest HR strap it’s truly an excellent piece of kit, as it allows me to monitor how fatigued I am.
How many of you have a watch you use to track your rowing? I’d love to know what you thought!
Natalie X

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 2023 Lexus RZ450e is the first EV from Lexus in the U.S

The 2023 Lexus RZ450e is the first EV from Lexus in the U.S. market. It is based on the Toyota bZ4X and has a dual-motor powertrain with 308 horsepower and standard all-wheel drive¹². It has a 65.6-kWh battery pack that provides an estimated range of 250 miles². It also offers a steer-by-wire system that allows the driver to choose between a regular steering wheel or a yoke-style one¹³. The RZ450e has a sleek exterior design with a floating roof, a ducktail spoiler, and aggressive headlamps². The interior is spacious and luxurious, with a 14.0-inch touchscreen infotainment display, a panoramic sunroof, adaptive cruise control, and more¹². The RZ450e comes in two trim levels: Premium and Luxury. The Luxury trim adds a Mark Levinson stereo system and multi-colored ambient interior lighting, but also reduces the driving range due to larger wheels². The RZ450e is expected to start at $59,650 for the Premium trim and $65,650 for the Luxury trim². It will compete with other luxury ...

Y49/5 (Right camshaft intake solenoid) : Short circuit to ground (P2088)

P2088 Y49/5 (Right camshaft intake solenoid) : Short circuit to ground (P2088) Possible cause: ­ Y49/5 (Right camshaft intake solenoid) Affected functions: ­ ­ Engine diagnosis Engine output ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­ Test 1: Check component Y49/5 (Right camshaft intake solenoid). 1. Check component Y49/5 (Right camshaft intake solenoid). Test 1.1: Test actuation of component Y49/5 (Right camshaft intake solenoid). Test 1.2: Test current consumption of component Y49/5 (Right camshaft intake solenoid). 1.1. Test actuation of component Y49/5 (Right camshaft intake solenoid). Test prerequisite ­ Engine at idle ­ Vehicle stationary ­ Coolant temperature > 80? C ­ Time since engine start> 60 s Status of relevant actual value: ­ Temperature of coolant:Warning! Communication with ECU required. Note ­ After the actuation it may be necessary to erase the fault memory! Proceed to 'Actuation' with F2 1.2. Test current consumption of c...

Mercedes Benz E 550 4MATIC Sedan Technical Service Bulletin # S-07_61-59A Date: 091113

 Mercedes Benz E 550 4MATIC Sedan Technical Service Bulletin # S-07_61-59A Date: 091113 Engine Controls - Multiple DTC Troubleshooting Date: November 2009 Order No: S-B-07.61/59A Supercedes: S-B-07.61/59, February 2006 Group: 07 Revision: Models 204, 207, 212 Added. SUBJECT: Troubleshooting DTC Fault Codes Related to: ^ Adaptation Limits of Lambda Control ^ Mass Air Flow Sensor/Intake Air Temperature Sensor Models 204, 207, 212, 171.454, 171.456, 203.052, 203.054, 203.092, 203.056, 203.087, 209.356, 209.456, 211.056, 211.087, 211.256, 211.287, 164.186, 251.165, 221.171 This bulletin explains how to troubleshoot DTC fault codes 0337, 0338, 0341, 0342, 0537, (0620), 0745, 0746, 0749, 0750, 0789, 0790, 0793, 0794, 1045, 1046, 1047, 1048, 1049, 1050, 1051, 1052, 1345, 1346, 1347, 1349, 1350, 1351, 1352, 1857, 1858, 2025, 2026, 2029, 2030, 2032, 2089, 2090, 2091, 2092, 2093, 2094, 2095, 2096, 2181, 2082 by providing special diagnostic trees based on DAS for each fault ...

He said/She said: 2016 Mazda CX-3 CUV Review

By: Dan Heyman & Lacey Elliot When I was asked to take the 2016 Mazda CX-3 for a spin, I found myself surprisingly excited considering that this type of a car—small/compact crossover—isn’t usually my cup of tea; as a certified auto journalist, and thus, somewhat unbalanced, I’m a big station wagon and hatchback kind of guy. I’ve always felt they provided all the creature comforts of an SUV or CUV, while still providing an engaging ride. However, the CX-3 is a Mazda, and Mazda has to be respected for always finding a way to add that certain je ne sais quoi that makes a car fun to drive and behold, whether that has to do with some funky styling, a firm chassis or engaging powertrain. That’s what happens when you’re known for continually building one of the world’s most exciting, fun-to-drive and above all, affordable, sports cars on the market: the MX-5. Styling So, with that in mind, I sauntered up to our CX-3 tester, finished in brilliant Soul Red metallic paint, and took it in. T...

Product Review: MyZone® Heart Rate Monitor

Today I’m writing up my review of the MyZone® HR monitor! I’ve been using mine now since May and have tested over a range of activities, so now I really believe I can give y'all a fair and informative review. Now, let’s start with the basics. I have the MyZone® MZ-3 physical activity belt, which retails for £129.99 – which, for a heart rate monitor, is fairly pricey considering you can get something like a Wahoo TICKR belt for ~£65 . Purchasing through a MyZone® representative is generally the best way: these tend to be personal trainers or gyms affiliated with the brand. For example, where I live you can get a belt through Henley Fitness Space and save something like ~10% off the RRP. Comfort wise it took a bit of adjusting for me to get used to the belt, but once I found the right position (which for me was just underneath my sports bra) I actually barely noticed the belt was there – which surprised me considering how bulky the monitor is. I find that in this position it sits jus...

Mercedes-Benz ML63 AMG Reliability - 2018 Ratings

New AMG SUV is the first full-size SUV which has that two way of building combined. 2 separate 1/4 mile records were made by two separate RENNtech cars at Palm Beach International Raceway on Wednesday night. The C350 took everything up a notch, but again not a night and day experience, while the C63 is otherworldly, its power devastating, adhesion and correlating road manners unfathomable for such a solid, substantial four-door sedan. I took my girlfriend to an Italian restaurant in Austin, Texas that we had both wanted to try for a while. While the show car does not look anything like the current Impreza, equally Subaru insists the concept鈥檚 styling forms only a guide to the production WRX. The interior of this car has been designed to have an elegant yet sporty look that matches perfectly with the vehicle鈥檚 overall appeal. To get the power onto the road, the rear tires are wider than the front ones on a mid-engined car - usually about 30% wider. Also look for a return of the hybrid S...

We Rank The 5 Audi RS Cars Sold In The US From Worst To Best

Amazingly, only six RS cars have even been sold in the US. RS is to Audi as AMG is to Mercedes and M is to BMW. Even though BMW and Mercedes are quickly expanding their performance portfolios in the US, Audi has lagged behind in offering RS cars in North America. In fact, there was a time when Audi only sold one RS model at a time. This means that (excluding generational overlap) there have only been six different RS models on sale in the US. With only six cars to choose from, we decided to rank the five best RS cars that have ever been sold in the US from so-called "worst" to best. Coming it at number five (the lowest spot) is the RS5. We decided to put the B8 and B9 generation RS5 on this list because neither is our favorite RS car. The RS5 had a few issues. For instance, the engine was out passed the front axel line, which caused understeer. The first RS5 had a naturally aspirated 4.2-liter V8 , which sounded great, but the new car uses a 2.9-liter twin-turbo V6 which a...

2018 Mercedes-Benz AMG C 63 Expert Reviews, Specs And Photos

Under its rear hatch lies a two-cylinder diesel that generates 47 hp, which would have been fairly weak in 1960, much less in the era where the average Hyundai generates up to 200 hp. The new rear fenders make the AMG GT C a total of 2.25 inches wider than the AMG GT and AMG GT S, giving it exactly the same dimension as the AMG GT R at the rear of the car. These are the same rubbers that Nissan used during their 鈥榠nfamous鈥?fast lap of 7mins 29secs at Nurburgring, a timing which was controversially disputed by Porsche recently. 2017 Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Photos Redesign for USA, Canada, UK. You may have to replace it. Greatest car had to have our greatest engine. Pour in new oil according to the manuals directions based on your engine size. Find a list of comprehensive 2014 Rolls Royce Phantom performance specs including engine specs, braking, car handling and more. The 2013 LR4 manages its impressive on- and off-road performance by blending muscle and magic. The new Audi A6 Avant h...

Maintenance: All Technical Service Bulletins TPMS System - Tire Pressure Monitor Inop./DTC 5581 DISPLAY MESSAGE "TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR INOPERATIVE" DTC 5581 Topic Number LI40.15-P-046651

******************************************************************** 2010 Mercedes Benz C 300 4MATIC (204.081) V6-3.0L (272.948) Copyright ? 2013, ALLDATA 10.52SS Page 1 Maintenance: All Technical Service Bulletins TPMS System - Tire Pressure Monitor Inop./DTC 5581 DISPLAY MESSAGE "TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR INOPERATIVE" DTC 5581 Topic Number LI40.15-P-046651 Version 1 Design Group 40.15 Tire pressure/tire pressure monitoring Date 09-24-2009 Validity Model 171.454/456/458/473 Model 204.054/056/077/081/956/987 Reason for change: Instructions revised foe Xentry/Supersedes DTB S-B-40.15/68 Reason for block Complaint: Display Message "Tire pressure Monitor Inoperative" DTC 5581 Cause: If you receive customer reports in the above model vehicles of the instrument cluster displaying "Tire Pressure Monitor Inoperative" and there is a corresponding stored fault code of 5581 (front or rear sensor localization failed), this is because the diff...