Skip to main content

Product Review: MyZone® Heart Rate Monitor

Today I’m writing up my review of the MyZone® HR monitor! I’ve been using mine now since May and have tested over a range of activities, so now I really believe I can give y'all a fair and informative review.
Now, let’s start with the basics. I have the MyZone® MZ-3 physical activity belt, which retails for £129.99 – which, for a heart rate monitor, is fairly pricey considering you can get something like a Wahoo TICKR belt for ~£65. Purchasing through a MyZone® representative is generally the best way: these tend to be personal trainers or gyms affiliated with the brand. For example, where I live you can get a belt through Henley Fitness Space and save something like ~10% off the RRP.
Comfort wise it took a bit of adjusting for me to get used to the belt, but once I found the right position (which for me was just underneath my sports bra) I actually barely noticed the belt was there – which surprised me considering how bulky the monitor is. I find that in this position it sits just higher than where I pull through at the finish, meaning I don’t bash my knuckles into it when I’m sculling or erging, and is actually a good (if not slightly painful) tool for letting me know when I’m drawing up that bit too high. Once the belt is on and can sense your HR it beeps, it then beeps three times if the connection is lost. The most annoying thing about this aspect is the belt can just randomly start beeping when it’s in your gym bag so to avoid that I find it best to remove the monitor from the belt whenever not in use.
The belt can sync up to your phone via Bluetooth, although it doesn’t need to be connected to your phone to record a work out. The option to view a ‘live workout’ for me has proved very useful during UT2/SS workouts where I’ve now begun hiding my split and focusing purely on my heart rate to make the most of the workout. Helpfully you can link certain HR zones to a colour, which means you don’t necessarily need to look at the exact number on the app (which can be quite small). For me, if my screen turns from green to yellow I know I’m pushing too hard and if it goes from green to blue I’m not pushing hard enough during those long ergs. The device can hold a couple of hours’ worth of work outs, so if you find yourself without signal (hello... HRC gym) then you don’t have to sync immediately. Syncing the belt to the app on your phone lets you review your work out including: calories burnt, time spent in certain HR zones, peak HR, average HR and duration (which is total time you're wearing the belt, so includes those annoying 'grey zones'..see below).
Personally I love the app and I believe it’s this which really sells the belt for me. Being able to review my workouts in terms of HR is extremely beneficial and allows me to assess just how much I can push my body, but it also highlights when I’m being inefficient (high HR with no boat speed = BAD). I’d love to be able to test this against something like the Wahoo TICKR (which also has an associated app) to see how they compare, but I really cannot fault the level of useful information the MyZone® app gives me. You also gain ‘MEPs’ when logging workouts. When you first get the belt it suggests 1300 MEPs a month, which for someone like me I hit in roughly a week, but for an average gym goer can provide great motivation. Apart from earning you badges next to your profile I can’t see what else MEPs do, but it can make going to the gym competitive – especially if multiple people in your group have the belt. It also allows personal trainers to really track their client’s progress and workouts, so from that perspective is very handy.
Accuracy wise, when worn alongside my Polar FT1 watch and T31 chest strap I noticed no difference in the numbers. My strap is coded to the watch so I’m fairly confident there was no interference.
MyZone® also offer a range of other items you can clip the monitor on, such as sports bras and compression tops. I’ve not tried these myself and as much as it’s a nice option to have, I don’t see the reason to purchase anything other than the belt. You can also buy the MyZone® MZ-50 watch either alone (£99.99) or in a set with the belt (£179.99). What attracts me to HR belts is the fact I don’t need anything on my wrist, which I find irritates me over long sessions, so I’ve not yet trialled any sports watches for rowing. The belt itself is also machine washable and belt+monitor have survived one capsize, so it's water resistant to an extent but I wouldn't wear it swimming! NB: the MyZone® website states the belt is completely waterproof but you can't swim with it as water causes the strap to come away from the chest too frequently.
Affordability: 3/10
Comfort: 7/10
Accuracy: 10/10
Supporting App: 9/10 (I wish it auto linked with Strava/MyFitnessPal etc)
Overall: 7.25/10
All in all I think the monitor is a great tool if you have access to one, though I’m not sure it’s worth the price point.
Natalie x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 2023 Lexus RZ450e is the first EV from Lexus in the U.S

The 2023 Lexus RZ450e is the first EV from Lexus in the U.S. market. It is based on the Toyota bZ4X and has a dual-motor powertrain with 308 horsepower and standard all-wheel drive¹². It has a 65.6-kWh battery pack that provides an estimated range of 250 miles². It also offers a steer-by-wire system that allows the driver to choose between a regular steering wheel or a yoke-style one¹³. The RZ450e has a sleek exterior design with a floating roof, a ducktail spoiler, and aggressive headlamps². The interior is spacious and luxurious, with a 14.0-inch touchscreen infotainment display, a panoramic sunroof, adaptive cruise control, and more¹². The RZ450e comes in two trim levels: Premium and Luxury. The Luxury trim adds a Mark Levinson stereo system and multi-colored ambient interior lighting, but also reduces the driving range due to larger wheels². The RZ450e is expected to start at $59,650 for the Premium trim and $65,650 for the Luxury trim². It will compete with other luxury ...

Mercedes Benz E 550 4MATIC Sedan Technical Service Bulletin # S-07_61-59A Date: 091113

 Mercedes Benz E 550 4MATIC Sedan Technical Service Bulletin # S-07_61-59A Date: 091113 Engine Controls - Multiple DTC Troubleshooting Date: November 2009 Order No: S-B-07.61/59A Supercedes: S-B-07.61/59, February 2006 Group: 07 Revision: Models 204, 207, 212 Added. SUBJECT: Troubleshooting DTC Fault Codes Related to: ^ Adaptation Limits of Lambda Control ^ Mass Air Flow Sensor/Intake Air Temperature Sensor Models 204, 207, 212, 171.454, 171.456, 203.052, 203.054, 203.092, 203.056, 203.087, 209.356, 209.456, 211.056, 211.087, 211.256, 211.287, 164.186, 251.165, 221.171 This bulletin explains how to troubleshoot DTC fault codes 0337, 0338, 0341, 0342, 0537, (0620), 0745, 0746, 0749, 0750, 0789, 0790, 0793, 0794, 1045, 1046, 1047, 1048, 1049, 1050, 1051, 1052, 1345, 1346, 1347, 1349, 1350, 1351, 1352, 1857, 1858, 2025, 2026, 2029, 2030, 2032, 2089, 2090, 2091, 2092, 2093, 2094, 2095, 2096, 2181, 2082 by providing special diagnostic trees based on DAS for each fault ...

Y49/5 (Right camshaft intake solenoid) : Short circuit to ground (P2088)

P2088 Y49/5 (Right camshaft intake solenoid) : Short circuit to ground (P2088) Possible cause: ­ Y49/5 (Right camshaft intake solenoid) Affected functions: ­ ­ Engine diagnosis Engine output ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­ Test 1: Check component Y49/5 (Right camshaft intake solenoid). 1. Check component Y49/5 (Right camshaft intake solenoid). Test 1.1: Test actuation of component Y49/5 (Right camshaft intake solenoid). Test 1.2: Test current consumption of component Y49/5 (Right camshaft intake solenoid). 1.1. Test actuation of component Y49/5 (Right camshaft intake solenoid). Test prerequisite ­ Engine at idle ­ Vehicle stationary ­ Coolant temperature > 80? C ­ Time since engine start> 60 s Status of relevant actual value: ­ Temperature of coolant:Warning! Communication with ECU required. Note ­ After the actuation it may be necessary to erase the fault memory! Proceed to 'Actuation' with F2 1.2. Test current consumption of c...

He said/She said: 2016 Mazda CX-3 CUV Review

By: Dan Heyman & Lacey Elliot When I was asked to take the 2016 Mazda CX-3 for a spin, I found myself surprisingly excited considering that this type of a car—small/compact crossover—isn’t usually my cup of tea; as a certified auto journalist, and thus, somewhat unbalanced, I’m a big station wagon and hatchback kind of guy. I’ve always felt they provided all the creature comforts of an SUV or CUV, while still providing an engaging ride. However, the CX-3 is a Mazda, and Mazda has to be respected for always finding a way to add that certain je ne sais quoi that makes a car fun to drive and behold, whether that has to do with some funky styling, a firm chassis or engaging powertrain. That’s what happens when you’re known for continually building one of the world’s most exciting, fun-to-drive and above all, affordable, sports cars on the market: the MX-5. Styling So, with that in mind, I sauntered up to our CX-3 tester, finished in brilliant Soul Red metallic paint, and took it in. T...

Mercedes-Benz ML63 AMG Reliability - 2018 Ratings

New AMG SUV is the first full-size SUV which has that two way of building combined. 2 separate 1/4 mile records were made by two separate RENNtech cars at Palm Beach International Raceway on Wednesday night. The C350 took everything up a notch, but again not a night and day experience, while the C63 is otherworldly, its power devastating, adhesion and correlating road manners unfathomable for such a solid, substantial four-door sedan. I took my girlfriend to an Italian restaurant in Austin, Texas that we had both wanted to try for a while. While the show car does not look anything like the current Impreza, equally Subaru insists the concept鈥檚 styling forms only a guide to the production WRX. The interior of this car has been designed to have an elegant yet sporty look that matches perfectly with the vehicle鈥檚 overall appeal. To get the power onto the road, the rear tires are wider than the front ones on a mid-engined car - usually about 30% wider. Also look for a return of the hybrid S...

Product Review: Garmin Vivoactive 3

So. It’s now been a few months since I’ve had the Garmin Vivoactive 3 and I now think I’ve taken it for enough of a spin to make my full and honest opinion. In short, I very much enjoy the watch and it’s a great training tool but still certainly has its downfalls. The Garmin Vivoactive 3 is a multisport watch with built in wrist HRM, and as with all wrist based HRM that’s were it tends to fall flat. I use my watch primarily to track my rowing, however I’ve also tested it on runs, cycles, swims, ergs, indoor cycles and weights so I’ve tried it all (except golf…). I think the best way to break down my review is to split it into the sports, so I’ll start with the main one for me: rowing. Rowing On the erg I split between either using the ErgIQ app which I downloaded, or just the ‘indoor rowing’ application already on the watch. Out of these I find the ErgIQ gives me the best data, though the concept2 PM5 set up at Leander seems to be slightly temperamental with whether they’ll pick the wa...

We Rank The 5 Audi RS Cars Sold In The US From Worst To Best

Amazingly, only six RS cars have even been sold in the US. RS is to Audi as AMG is to Mercedes and M is to BMW. Even though BMW and Mercedes are quickly expanding their performance portfolios in the US, Audi has lagged behind in offering RS cars in North America. In fact, there was a time when Audi only sold one RS model at a time. This means that (excluding generational overlap) there have only been six different RS models on sale in the US. With only six cars to choose from, we decided to rank the five best RS cars that have ever been sold in the US from so-called "worst" to best. Coming it at number five (the lowest spot) is the RS5. We decided to put the B8 and B9 generation RS5 on this list because neither is our favorite RS car. The RS5 had a few issues. For instance, the engine was out passed the front axel line, which caused understeer. The first RS5 had a naturally aspirated 4.2-liter V8 , which sounded great, but the new car uses a 2.9-liter twin-turbo V6 which a...

American Van: June 2020

American Van: June 2020 Competition in the full-size segment is so brutally competitive that industry heavyweights like Toyota and Nissan have struggled to gain any type of market traction. They either have a stainless steel round sink or a fold-down sink, along with features like a tissue holder and a towel rack. In the galley, the Revel has a single burner induction cooktop, a 2.5 cu-ft fridge and freezer, and a stainless steel sink. The Winnebago View has 3 different floorplans 24J, 24V and the new 24D. of torque allow you to go where no RV has Winnebago Revel Class B diesel motorhome 44E highlights: 4-Wheel Drive! This car can be fun to drive and the average driver will feel comfortable with its performance. This tough new Class B is built on a Mercedes-Benz Sprinter chassis with a 3-liter turbo-diesel engine and an on-demand four-wheel drive system with a high/low range mode for off-roading. The beds are built on a deluxe Froli system with extra cushioning to give you a better nig...

2018 Mercedes-Benz AMG C 63 Expert Reviews, Specs And Photos

Under its rear hatch lies a two-cylinder diesel that generates 47 hp, which would have been fairly weak in 1960, much less in the era where the average Hyundai generates up to 200 hp. The new rear fenders make the AMG GT C a total of 2.25 inches wider than the AMG GT and AMG GT S, giving it exactly the same dimension as the AMG GT R at the rear of the car. These are the same rubbers that Nissan used during their 鈥榠nfamous鈥?fast lap of 7mins 29secs at Nurburgring, a timing which was controversially disputed by Porsche recently. 2017 Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Photos Redesign for USA, Canada, UK. You may have to replace it. Greatest car had to have our greatest engine. Pour in new oil according to the manuals directions based on your engine size. Find a list of comprehensive 2014 Rolls Royce Phantom performance specs including engine specs, braking, car handling and more. The 2013 LR4 manages its impressive on- and off-road performance by blending muscle and magic. The new Audi A6 Avant h...