Monday, June 11, 2018

Wonderful world of Reddit

I love Reddit. It actually took a long time for me to jump onto the Reddit train, but now I’m on it there’s no stopping me. My primary haunts are r/loseit (I’m still fat) and r/rowing (obviously), but I do also venture onto r/aaaawww (puppies!) and r/writingprompts. I enjoy the ‘shitposting’ and the memes of the rowing subreddit and also enjoy peering into the minds of predominantly American rowers – a breed which I think are quite different from their British counterparts.
I rarely post, as I enjoy just skulking my way through topics and reading the entertaining conversations (which revolve predominantly around Mike Teti and butter), but recently I’ve found myself replying on r/Loseit waaaaaay more than I usually do. That’s only because there’s been a bike spike in exercise related posts, but it has opened my eyes to the fitness community.
Sometimes I feel like I don’t belong on r/loseit. Although I have 5+KG I want to drop, I’m very different to the average poster. I’m not overweight. I’m not unfit (not that a huge percentage of the sub reddit are) and I’m not doing any interesting fad like keto or intermittent fasting (two popular topics). However, I do find it interesting to read their disgruntled views of the fitness community. Many redditors on loseit are trying to get fit along with losing weight, and it’s no surprise to me that generic fitness advice doesn’t suit everyone on the subreddit.